From the USDA RMA web site (https://www.rma.usda.gov/Information-Room/Ceaselessly-Requested-Questions/Prevented-Planting-Flooding)
- Can I plant a canopy crop of the identical crop I used to be prevented from planting? Or in different phrases, can I exploit the seed I’ve readily available (corn, soybeans, wheat) to plant a canopy crop so long as it’s at a decrease seeded price that qualifies for canopy crop?
- Sure. A suitable cowl crop should be typically acknowledged by agricultural specialists as agronomically sound for the world for erosion management or different functions associated to conservation or soil enchancment is planted on the advisable seeding price, and so on. The duvet crop stands out as the identical crop prevented from planting and should retain eligibility for a prevented planting cost. The duvet crop planted can’t be used for harvest as seed or grain.”
Soybean is a suitable cowl crop as it’s agronomically sound for the world for erosion management or different functions associated to conservation or soil enchancment.
To optimize using soybean as a canopy crop, take into account the next:
- Planting dates. USDA NRCS cowl crop apply tips state that soybean needs to be planted between June 15 and Aug. 15 in northern Ohio and June 1 and Aug. 30 in southern Ohio.
- Plant in slim rows. The USDA NRCS cowl crop apply tips don’t specify a row width for a soybean cowl crop, however planting in lower than 30-inch rows will maximize floor cowl and enhance weed suppression. Don’t broadcast handled seed. We need to reduce the chance of seed therapy publicity to non-target organisms.
- Seeding price. USDA NRCS cowl crop tips point out that soybean needs to be seeded at 54 kilos per acre if to be planted as a pure stand (100% soybean) cowl crop. At a seed measurement of two,800 seeds per pound, this might be a seeding price of ~151,000 seeds per acre. Greater charges could also be used; nonetheless, seed therapy labels might restrict the quantity of energetic ingredient per acre which might influence higher seeding price limits.
- Test your license settlement and discuss together with your seed supplier. Most trait licenses have a clause stating that the crop can be utilized for “one business crop.” You’ll want to confirm together with your seed supplier that the duvet crop represents a business crop previous to planting.
Growers who choose to not plant corn or soybeans this yr due to constantly moist …